Monday, May 4, 2015

One year today. My tribute to my friendship with LeRae.

I've really dreaded today, because I knew how hard it was going to be. The first year is definitely the hardest - I know this from past experience. Losing LeRae has been exceptionally hard for me. She was like a sister to me, and there was never a limit on what we could, or would talk about with each other. There was really no limit to what (or who) we wouldn't laugh at, or about, either, including each other. . . . I got to thinking yesterday, how I don't want today to be so sad, and somber, so I started going back through a lot of the photographs from our wanderings - most of which I haven't really been able to make myself look at, until now. At first, I was afraid they'd make me sad, but the more I looked, the more I found myself smiling, and even laughing out loud. We girls did have us some fun, there's no doubt about it. And while I'm so sad that my friend is gone, I'm so very thankful we got to have those few, short years together. I know, that in those few years, we had more fun, more laughs, and saw more places than a whole lot of people get to see in their entire lives. And that's saying something. I wouldn't trade one minute, or one mile, not one dirt road, or one spooky old house - not one second of it. Not for a million bucks. I have LeRae to thank for all those miles, and memories. Without her in my life, I'd still be doing the same ol' nothing I was doing before. Without her, I never would have had the courage to do portrait work on my own. I always wanted to, but, believe it or not, I'm still kind of shy sometimes, and she always knew the right thing to say to get me motivated, and make me believe I was good enough to get out there, and do it. Having her for a best friend was beyond awesome, and having her as a business partner was the icing on the cake.

I remember the day I bought my first brand, new truck. LeRae went with me, and I think everyone at the dealership thought we were nuts (they were right). We had half the staff in that place cracking up, but I'm sure some were grateful when we finally left. LeRae was kind of quiet afterwards, and I knew exactly what she was thinking - that since I'd just bought a brand new truck, we weren't going to go to some of the fun places like we had before. Two days later, we were off roading (very literally) out behind Ft. Cobb lake. We were pretty bored, because the lake was super low, and there hadn't been much to look at, much less take pictures of. We were about ready to call it a day, when LeRae spotted a dirt road, and said, "Let's try that one." I was game, and off we went. It didn't take very long to realize this wasn't your typical dirt road, but once started, we were pretty much committed to going forward - there was no turning around, and no backing up. What we realized, a little too late, that it wasn't really a "road". It was a fire trail, leading to places around the lake where most people really weren't supposed to go. Well, we went. We had a few close calls, and actually got a few scratches on my brand new truck, but oh my God did we have fun! I kept saying how my husband would kill me, if he could see where we were taking that brand new truck, and she kept finding more trails for us to follow. Thankfully, we always found a loop at the end, so we could get back out. When we finally found the blacktop again, I looked at her and said: and you thought we wouldn't have fun anymore!

Another great day, was on our way back from Roosevelt, and Cooperton, Oklahoma. We had gotten some really great pictures that day, but of course, were still looking for cool old barns, and houses on our way home. I spotted one, and started slowing down, then saw something else. LeRae says: I see what you're looking at!, and I said: no, you don't - there's a snake! I want that snake! (meaning I wanted pictures, not the actual snake!). I pulled into the drive leading to that old house, and started towards the snake, who was sunning itself in the middle of the highway. I got about half the way there, and realized it wasn't just a bull snake - it was a rattlesnake! I hollered at LeRae, and she came running. She crossed to the other side of the road, and we proceeded to snap away. The snake wasn't really being all that interesting, as he was just laying there, so LeRae looks at me, and says: Make it do something. . . . . Do something? What do you want me to make it do???? She says, I don't know - just make it do something! So me, being the really intelligent person I am, starts picking up rocks, and chunking them at the snake. The next few minutes resulted in LeRae laughing her ass off, while I ran for my life. . . .

If I could actually string two sentences together, and not make myself sound like an complete hillbilly, I'd write a book about our travels. I'm not sure many people would actually read it, but it would be interesting, to say the least.

We two girls had fun. That we did. And that's what I want to remember today, and every day, when I think of my friend. I will remember her smile, I will remember her laugh, and I will remember her super wicked sense of humor. I will remember I had the best friend ever, and that even though she's gone, she'll always be here with me. I hope that's the way you'll remember her, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment